Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Better View


I haven’t posted many pictures of the institute itself. In an effort to remedy that...





Our small, beautiful chapel.




Our cafeteria. Hectic, yet quiet. We begin and end each meal with an established prayer in Sign language. 




The living room of the boys’ boarding house (i.e., the only room besides the bedrooms).




There are five bunk-beds in each of the four bedrooms. I am increasingly convinced that if I were raised at this school, I would have gone clinically insane due to lack of personal space. Fortunately, Jameel and Hamzeh (two of my favorites) make the most of their unenviable living situation. 



The pastime of preference for most boys here!




This playground area is in the middle of the institute’s campus. 







Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only Reverend Canon Brother Andrew de Carpentier, an Anglican monk from Holland with degrees in theology, special education, and architecture. In addition to his native language, he speaks English (flawlessly), German, French, Arabic, and Jordanian Sign language. I have never known anyone so intimidating and yet so gentle. 

...I have no idea what’s so funny, by the way. 





Three of the four other young international volunteers. From left to right: Rafael (22-year-old Swiss), Lena (19-year-old German), and Tamara (25-year-old Swiss). These three people are very precious to me. Rafael especially took me under his wing in those first few months and has become a dear friend.  

All of our schedules are full and rather inflexible, so get-togethers are unfortunately rare, making the occasional meal at our favorite shwarma restaurant all the more special. 



Hope you like the view!











2 comments:

  1. I believe I remember what was so funny (or at least made you smile, Willy);
    I took that photo (more than one) of you with Brother Andrew while our taxi was waiting to take us to the airport to catch our flight back to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Actually, since I've got my backpack around my shoulder, I think we're on our way to Palestine!

    ReplyDelete