Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Soon To See Their Hands!


In less than two hours, I leave Amman and move to the Holy Land Institute for the Deaf! Cindy Byler, my MCC supervisor, will drive me to Salt and help me get settled. ...And then, the real adventure begins!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I’ve been taking a crash course in Arabic for the last three and a half weeks. Finished two days ago. It was a whirlwind, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to building on the foundation it laid. 


This stack of vocabulary words is the foundation :)

And these are the two wonderful Jordanian Christian women who taught me: Abiir and Shiifa. 




I’ve been able to speak with Jordanians on the street quite a bit since the course began, and it’s thrilling every time. Usually, I’m asking questions about where things are. Sometimes I understand the answers. 

When I wasn’t in class or studying Arabic, I was hanging out with these two gals, Kristy Guertin and Audra Brady. 




Kristy is the other SALT intern in Jordan, and Audra is a fellow Wheaton alum who is studying Arabic in Amman until December. The three of us have explored and relaxed together almost every day over the past three and a half weeks. 

Although I don’t have a picture of her to share, Agnes Chen is a current Wheaton student who is also in Amman until December, and I’ve been able to hang out with her as well. Because she has been here since June and understands Jordanian culture much better than I do, she has gently steered me away from cultural impropriety on several occasions. Many thanks to her for this. 

I just can’t tell you how grateful I am for these three women. Having them here during this time of transition has been an immense blessing. 

I also want to express my gratitude to those who have followed my Spring Break trip posts over the last few weeks. There is so much more that I wanted to share. (Who would’ve thought that learning Arabic would take up so much of my time? Tee hee hee.) Still, I’m glad to have written the little that I’ve written, and I’m glad that you’ve read. Know that I am always receptive to questions and discussion on these matters, whether in person or long-distance. 

Although I'm not planning on writing any more posts specifically about the Spring Break trip, related thoughts and feelings will probably make their way into random posts throughout the year. As will thoughts, feelings, and stories from these last three and a half weeks.  

But the next post, inshaallah (Lord willing), will introduce you to my new life at the Holy Land Institute for the Deaf! 

Until then, grace and peace!

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you! Still praying for you.

    Noah

    ReplyDelete